HONORING ATHENA INSPIRED LEADERS
2018 AWARDS CELEBRATION
Nominations for the 2018 Awards are now Closed
ATHENA Valley of the Sun differentiates itself by focusing on WHO women are and NOT on what they DO. Athena Awards Nominees will be measured using this focus.
Please read these instructions carefully. The Selection Committee will consider adherence to these guidelines and procedures when evaluating nominations. The more specific you are when responding to each question, the stronger your candidacy.
The ATHENA Leadership Award program recognizes women who consistently live and demonstrate, at the highest level, one or more of the ATHENA Leadership Principles.
To be considered a candidate for an award, the nominee must excel in accordance with an ATHENA Leadership Principle and be of the caliber to serve as a role model and mentor. The expectation is the nominee will be available to mentor an individual within one of the event Sponsors’ organizations for the period of one year.
The nominee will live, work, or influence the East Valley communities (Mesa, Chandler, Tempe, Gilbert or Scottsdale.)
Nominations will be evaluated with considerable attention given to the nominee’s impact resulting from living these principles. Activities in support of political candidates or ballot initiatives will not be considered when evaluating nominees.
Nomination Form Guidelines
Nominations- You are able to nominate one individual for one ATHENA Leadership principle.
Women who are nominated will be contacted and required to write:
In 500-750 words, craft “Her Story” illustrating the Athena principle represented by the nominee. Be concise, thorough, and provide specific examples. The more thorough the responses the stronger the option for candidacy.
- Live Authentically
- Learn Constantly
- Build Relationships
- Foster Collaboration
- Advocate Fiercely
- Act Courageously
- Demonstrates integrity and consistent principled behavior
- Stays true to self, is aligned with her values, and behavior reflects her value-based compass
- Reflects on shortcomings and seeks opportunities for improvement
- Bravely faces reality, is willing to see with clarity and discernment and stands alone if necessary
- Is aware of what makes up her identity
- Wise enough to understand that she does not know everything
- Seeks learning opportunities to optimize her full potential and adversities
- Passionately engages in self improvement
- Open and willing to explore the unknown and able to accept what she doesn’t know
- Excited to explore greater or new issues and seeks ways to discover and understand
- Acts as a conduit to connect ideas, projects and people in her circle of influence
- Extends herself to others personably and professionally
- Helps others discover and develop behavioral, communication, leadership, and technical skills to create, produce and persevere.
- Lives by the principle that people desire to do good work in relationships with colleagues
- Honors and accepts other to be fully who they can be
- Is able to see and integrate strengths, passions, and mission of two or more parties and bring them together for a unified goal
- Acknowledges, appreciates and recruits the contribution of others and other organizations
- Inclusive of others in visioning & strategy & problem solving
- Actively seeks partnerships, new options, methods and ideas to manifest greater results
- A change agent for better results and improved methods
- Takes a stand for what is right and leaves her mark
- Passionate in making a difference for women and women related causes
- Confident, competent, capable in using her beliefs and skills to achieve extraordinary results
- Advocates for personal, professional and community causes without fear and prejudice, engages in crucial conversations
- Doesn’t view roadblocks as a stopping point, but as an opportunity to find a new solution
- Determined in their quest to move forward and make a difference
- Moves through fear and confronts reality head-on for the benefit of self and others, choses not to sit on the sidelines
- Respects other people’s opinions, but moves forward regardless of commonly held notions or perceived realities
- Takes action when others might hesitate, develops a plan and steps forward without looking back
- Acts purposefully, bravely in spite of perceived odds or obstacles
- Creates steps to move forward in her personal or professional life that may seem difficult or unachievable
Members of the ATHENA Valley of the Sun Leadership Team and Awards Committee make selections of semi-finalists. A panel of community leaders will interview the finalists November 13-15, 2017. The Awards Committee will select the recipient. The recipient will be notified the end of November. All nomination information provided to the Committee becomes the property of ATHENA Valley of the Sun.
The HONORING ATHENA INSPIRED LEADERS celebration event to honor the Award recipients will be held, March 8, 2018
All nominations must be completed by 5:00pm on October 27, 2017.